Under the patronage and attendance of H.E. Dr. Mohammed Barrack Al Haifi, Minister of Health in Kuwait, Dasman Diabetes Institute launched “Joslin University for Kuwait at the Dasman Diabetes Institute”; a Program for Primary Health Care providers in Diabetes Care certified by the Joslin Diabetes Center. Following the launch of this collaboration, Dasman Diabetes Institute and Joslin Diabetes Center conducted a two-day program title: “Fundamentals of Diabetes: Primary Care Perspectives” at the Institute on 11th and 12th May 2013. over 120 physicians from primary care clinics attended this program.
The programs aims towards allowing participants and attendees of physicians to acquire cutting edge medical knowledge meant for decades candidates dedicating years of their life traveling to far away destinations, great expenses, interruption of current work commitments and many more inconveniences.
It is widely recognized that diabetes is now a global epidemic, with current estimates of 371 million people diagnosed worldwide and an additional 183 million as yet undiagnosed. Kuwait’s diabetes burden is increasing at an alarming rate. With a current prevalence of 23.9% with no forecast for improvement. The field of diabetes has undergone vast changes and updates. From changes in guidelines to new agents for treatments. It has become very difficult for the primary health care provider to keep up with the new data. Joslin University for primary health care physicians utilizes a blended learning approach that combines face to face, computer-mediated activities and live web-based discussions and interactions with Joslin/Harvard Medical School staff to help create the ideal set up for a flexible yet academically rigorous course.
A One year Program including:
• Physician education in Kuwait via live symposia with Joslin faculty
• An educational website to supplement the live events with ongoing online activities
• Development of tools and handouts for clinicians to use with patients
• A clinical outcomes study to measure the effect of the educational program on key patient health parameters
Portal for Ongoing Online Education:
Joslin Diabetes Center will host a password-protected Web portal populated with both multimedia and downloadable Joslin content and links.
Components will be rolled out systematically and comprise:
• State of the Art Lectures – delivered as streaming video files
• Live Video- or Teleconferences – delivered as follow-up activities related to each video
• Continuing Medical Education (CME) Activities – downloadable print monographs with post-tests
• Journal Club – periodic current abstracts with commentary from Joslin experts
• Joslin and Kuwait Clinical Guidelines
• Patient Education Materials