Dasman Diabetes Institute, founded by Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences, has recently organized the French Diabetes Days Conference in collaboration with the French Embassy in Kuwait, Sanofi, URGO Medical and Université Côte d’Azur. The conference was held at the Institute on 10th and 11th March 2019. This conference offered participants with a platform to discuss the latest issues and findings on diabetes and its complications, opportunities for networking and forming new partnerships. Many international guest speakers from Imperial College, Weill Cornel, Nice University presented at the conference, in addition to chairpersons and speakers from the Institute, Kuwait University and the Ministry of Health.
The conference was launched with the opening ceremony speech delivered by Dr. Qais Al Duwairi, Director General, Dasman Diabetes Institute. It was followed by speeches delivered by H. E. Mme Marie Masdupuy, the Ambassador of France to Kuwait, Mr. Jean Paul Scheuer, Country Chair & General Manager for Sanofi in Gulf Countries, Mr. François Régis Jan, CEEMEA Director, URGO Medical and Mr. Charles Guepratte, Chief Executive Officer, Nice University Centre, France.
Mr. Jean-Paul Scheuer, Country Chair & General Manager for Sanofi in Gulf Countries commented, “Together with Dasman Diabetes Institute and the Embassy of France in Kuwait, we are pleased to hold the first-ever French Diabetes Days conference in the country. Facilitated by eminent international and local speakers, this important educational effort will surely facilitate robust scientific discussions on diabetes management and ultimately benefit patients. At Sanofi, we strongly value and support partnership efforts that further our long-standing commitment to healthcare in Kuwait and globally.”
Dr. Qais Al-Duwairi, Director General of Dasman Diabetes Institute stated that “With Sanofi, Dasman Diabetes Institute strives to accomplish its Mission and empower the medical and scientific communities with the latest clinical guidelines, research findings and applications. We aspire to develop educational frameworks and awareness-raising programs that make a difference in our healthcare system.”
The conference consisted of more than 10 presentations;
- “Diabetes: Is it All in the Fat?” By Dr. Sara Suliaman, Consultant Endocrinologist, Imperial College, Abu Dhabi,
- “Nutritional Aspect of Diabetes” by Dr. Nicola Guess, Head Of Nutrition, Dasman Diabetes Institute,
- “Management of Obesity in the Diabetes Clinic” by Dr. Ebaa Al Ozairi, Chief Medical Officer, Dasman Diabetes Institute,
- “Managing Diabetes: Guidelines Approach” by Prof. Stephen Atkin, Professor of Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, Qatar,
- “What Type of Diabetes is it Anyway? A Look Through Genetics” by Dr. Sara Suliaman, Consultant Endocrinologist, Imperial College, Abu Dhabi,
- “Getting the Patient Excited About Crossing The Bridge: Motivational Counselling” by Dr. Abdulla Al Ozairi, Assistant Professor, Kuwait University,
- “Polycystic Ovaries – An Update” by Prof. Stephen Atkin, Professor of Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, Qatar,
- “Diabetes and Pregnancy” by Dr. Abdulmohsen Al Shammari, Head of Education and Training, Dasman Diabetes Institute,
- “Exploring the Future of Diabetic Foot”, by Marco Meloni, Resident in Diabetic Foot, Nuova Villa Claudia Clinic, Italy and Mr. Emilio Galea, International Medical Director, URGO Medical, UAE,
- “Fellowship Programs in France” Mr. Guillaume Huart, French Regional Counsellor for Health, Middle East, and finally
- “Presentation of Fellowship Programs at Nice University Centre, France, by Professor Thierry Piche, Chief Medical Officer, Nice University Centre, France and Professor Nicolas Chevalier, Head of Endocrinology/Diabetes, Nice University Centre, France.